Chicago Chiropractor talks Physical Activity
May 5, 2016
Stretching is an often overlooked aspect of health, but yet it so important. There is a lot of misguided information when it comes to stretching. In this blog I want to explain why it is important to stretch and explain the proper timing and method to get the most bang for your buck while stretching.
In the past two weeks there has been a lot of people suffering from shoulder pain in Chicago. The reason I know is because, as a chiropractor, there has been a huge influx of patients with shoulder pain coming into my office. Let’s discuss this further. Continue reading
It’s time to start preparing for winter. For many, the winter months become a time of hibernation, inactivity, excess consumption and unhealthy habits. This does not have to be the case. You are still either creating health or destroying health no matter what the weather is doing. Winter is a great time to continue to build upon your health.
Have you ever wondered why the “cold and flu season” happens in the winter? Do you think it is because these cold and flu viruses are dormant and all of a sudden become active once it’s cold outside? No, these bugs are always around and always invading us, the difference is in the winter most people are run down, stressed and not following through on their healthy habits therefore making them more prone to becoming sick.
Here is what I will be doing to prepare for and stay healthy this winter:
1) Get adjusted — Keeping your spine healthy and free of intereference is a great way to keep your body healthy and resistant against infection. A nervous system without stress is a nervous system that is adaptable to the health challenges of winter. I get adjusted on average once a week.
2) Get fresh air (even if it’s cold) — Most people are vitamin D deficient during the winter because you may go 3 months without ever seeing the sun! This is common, but it is not normal. Bundle up and go out side for a walk. Walking in the winter is actually a lot of fun! There are much less people out and about and you get to enjoy some silence and maybe even get to listen to the snow falling!
3) Take Vitamins D and C — We already talked about Vitamin D above as a way to stay healthy this winter. I add in extra Vitamin D and C in the form of vitamins to help give my immune system a natural boost to fight off the potential invaders.
4) Winter exercise — Try a new activity. Most people in the winter are not getting enough exercise. Besides going for a walk, try ice skating, sledding, snow shoeing, or skiing. Use the snow and cold as a chance to enjoy a sport or activity that can only be performed in the snow and cold. If the outdoors are not for you during this time, then make a commitment to try a new activity this winter. Try something that will get you excited and test your body in a new way.
5) Relax — Stress during the holidays and winter is normally at an all time high. RELAX! Take time for yourself, don’t over-spend, over-eat or over-drink. Have some fun, life is meant to be enjoyed.
The winter is a great time to supercharge your health! Follow the steps above and let this be not only your healthiest winter yet, let it be the springboard to your healthiest year EVER!
I love sharing success stories, here is one about a knee. A practice member who I’ve known for a while came in one day and was very stressed and concerned. After we got to talking she told me her knee was really bothering her and it was preventing her from working out. Working out is her life, she is in amazing shape and trains at least 4-5 days a week with intensity. She said she was at her wits end with her knee and was getting ready to see an orthopedic surgeon. I took a look at her knee and was able to diagnose what was going on. Continue reading
Many people believe that chiropractic works only for spinal issues. Chiropractors are experts and locating and correcting subluxations (areas of stress) to the spine, but we are also trained to work with extremities as well. Chiropractic and extremities such as ankles, knees, wrists and shoulders work great together. Continue reading
Allergies and Chiropractic
It’s that time of year again. The weather is warming up, things are blooming, and your allergies are kicking! Well it doesn’t have to be that way. Many people in our office have experienced the allergy relieving effects of having their spine adjusted. Many other people are skeptical, and they ask, “how does having my spine adjusted help me with my allergies?” Continue reading
I am often asked if chiropractic can help with (insert any disease or symptom here). My answer is always the same no matter what is in between those parenthesis…. YES! Would you have that (insert any disease or symptom here) if you were healthier than you are right now? That is what chiropractic does. We do not treat specific symptoms or diseases, what we do is help build you body from the inside out so you are more adaptable, more flexible, more relaxed, and more in-tune with your body so you can be the healthiest version of yourself.
When we are sick or diagnosed with a disease we often focus on trying to eradicate, fight against, or get rid of the disease. For example: The war on Cancer. What if we changed our focus. What if instead of trying to fight the disease we focused our energy on doing the most that we can to make our body so healthy and so strong that disease could not exist within it? What do you think would happen then?
What you think about you bring about. Focus on health and healing, and health and healing is what you will have!
Most people who come to our office do so because they are experiencing back pain or neck pain that has started to interfere with their life in a negative way.
Back pain comes in many different forms: Sciatica, bulging or herniated discs, pulled muscles, sprained muscles, or even a back that is “locked” or “out”. Whatever the case may be, it is important to realize the pain you are experiencing is not the problem. Pain is just the body’s alarm system being activated to tell us there is a problem and you better pay attention or it will get worse. When we are in pain, our natural reaction is to want the pain to go away as quickly as possible because it is so uncomfortable.
I am here to tell you the “quick-fix” is not the right fix. Yes, taking pills may get you out of pain, but has the underlying problem been fixed? Remember, the pain is not the problem! If your check engine light goes on in your car, do you merely cover up the light with a piece of tape and keep driving on, or do you have a professional get under the hood to find the problem and fix it?
Chiropractors are the mechanics for your body. We figure out what is causing your back or neck pain and then we get in there and make the changes necessary to fix your problem.
It is about a 10 year old girl who came to see me. Her mother has been a long-time practice member and during one of her visits she mentioned to me that her daughter had been having daily, debilitating headaches. They seemed to come on from nowhere Continue reading