Why We Are Different
Here at Bourdage Chiropractic we see all different types of conditions. One of my favorite conditions to work with is herniated discs. Chiropractic and herniated discs go together like peanut butter and jelly. As soon as you hear, “you have a herniated disc” the first thing you should think about is seeing your chiropractor.
Have you ever heard an older individual say “I’ve lost an inch since I was younger.”? Or maybe you are one of these people who has lost some height as you have gotten older? Let’s first talk about why this happens and then we will discuss what you can do about it. And then most importantly, answer the question ‘Will Chiropractic Make Me Taller?’ Continue reading
Since I was a kid I have always been afraid of the water and swimming. If the water was deeper than I was tall there was no chance in hell I’d go into it. We would take beach vacations as a kid and I was always content to sit on the beach and watch everyone else enjoy the water. As I got older I would start to venture into the water, but rarely would I go past the water being up to my chest. This blog post is about going into the deep end. What does this have to do with chiropractic you may be thinking? Please read on…. Continue reading
Have you ever wondered if chiropractic is safe for seniors? I love this question because the answer is a resounding YES! Chiropractic and seniors go together like peanut butter and jelly….It just works! I love working with seniors and love seeing the results they experience. My oldest patient to date is 104 years old! I have many patients that are in their 80’s and above. Let take a look at some of the benefits that seniors experience from chiropractic care. Continue reading
Do you have a spine? The answer is yes, everyone with a spine needs a chiropractor in their life, this also includes animal by the way. BUT, here is a a list of 5 people who need a chiropractor and it should be non debate-able.
1) Parents, particularly new moms. Being a parent is the most challenging work on the planet. It’s emotionally, mentally and physically exhausting. Especially for moms. For new moms it is difficult. New moms are sleep deprived, nursing, and carrying around baby carriers all day. If you are a parent, please come get adjusted. You most likely don’t even realize how bad you actually feel because you are just trying to get through the day. Let’s get the stress off your body, increase your energy and get you back to being super parent!
2) Students. When you are spending hours upon hours looking at a textbook or computer screen all day, you are going to have problems. Neck pain, headaches, fatigue, shoulder pain and poor posture come from being a full-time student. Studying is great for your brain, but not great for your body. Students of all ages love chiropractic and feel so much better after adjustments. Feeling better leads to performing better!
3) Desk Jockeys. Do you spend most of your day seated at a desk? If so see #2 above. It’s the same situation. We are not designed to sit as long as we do. The average American desk worker spends 13 hours a day sitting!! That hurts just to think about! Sitting creates low back pain, neck pain, hip pain and sciatica. Chiropractic can help with all of those and then some.
4) Athletes. If you want to keep yourself in the game and performing at your best you need a chiropractor in your life. When you do get injured, if you have been well adjusted we can get you through injuries pretty quick. Whether you are a weekend warrior or a professional athlete, get adjusted!
5) Physical Laborers. Talk about a physically demanding job! I see people in my office that lift furniture, boxes, steel pipes and other objects all day long. Then they are bending over into spaces not designed for humans or holding camera equipment on their backs and the list goes on and on. And if you have a physically demanding job chiropractic care will help you maintain longevity in that career. I have a patient who has been an iron worker for 20 years and has been receiving chiropractic adjustments for half of that time. He says he has coworkers who are in and out of the job all the time because of injuries or they have to take an early retirement. This will not be the case for this particular patient because he is PRO ACTIVE!
Everyone who wants to be healthy and strong needs a chiropractor. These are the 5 types of people who need a chiropractor the most, based on what I have seen with my patients over the last 12 years in practice. If you fall into one of these categories and you need help, please call me at 773-545-9379.
Yours in Health,
Dr. Steven Bourdage
Let’s be honest, there are more like 100 reasons, but for the sake of time here are the top 10 reasons you need a chiropractor in your life RIGHT NOW!
If you need a chiropractor in the Chicago or Lincolnwood area I would love to be YOUR chiropractor! Give me call 773-545-9379
Dr. Steven Bourdage
Let’s talk about poop. You may think its weird that a chiropractor talks bowel movements, but it actually comes up often in my office. In particular, I have two stories I’d like to share with you. One is about a 3 month old baby and the other is about a man in his fifties. Both stories involve poop so follow along with me.
Earlier this month a mother brought in her 3 month old baby because the baby was having a lot of gas and was only having a bowel movement once every five days. After some questioning I learned this mother was already doing an AWESOME job. The baby was still nursing, the mom had been doing belly massages for the baby, the mom even changed her diet to see if it would help the baby and still no changes. I examined the baby and found some areas of the spine that did not have the movement they should. I did some very light, specific adjustments and sent them on their way. The next week when they returned the mom informed me the baby had 3 bowel movements in one week! That is a huge improvement! No on should only be pooping once every five days, especially a 3 month old baby. I am continuing to work with this wonderful family to get the baby fully back to 100%.
A man I’ve been adjusting for many years who is in overall good health came in complaining of not having a bowel movement in 4 days along with some mild low back pain which was a new complaint for him. After I examined him I found subluxations in his middle to lower spine. I adjusted those areas which do send nerves to the stomach. We had a great adjustment which resulted in a lot of spinal movement. That movement took pressure off the nerves allowing his stomach and digestive organs to work normally.
Later in the day he emailed to say 20 minutes after he left he was on the toilet pooping!
I am not telling you these stories to make myself sound like a hero. The truth is far from that. I’m just the guide in these stories. The two individuals healed themselves once we removed the interference to their bodies. The human body is designed to work perfectly and in a healthy way. When there is interference to these systems in the form of subluxations (spinal mis-alignments) the body does not work as it is designed.
If you need help pooping you should get checked by a chiropractor and see if your prob;em may be spinal in nature. If you are in Chicago or Lincolnwood give me a call at 773.545.9379
Yours in Health,
Dr. Steven Bourdage DC
Bending over to lift something up is one of the most common causes of a lower back injury. It can happen while peroforming a heavy deadlift in the gym, while picking up one of your kids, or even just trying to get your favorite pair of jeans out of the bottom drawer. However it happens, it is important to be more mindful of how you move your body. See the video below for a visual and description of How to Bend Properly. Continue reading
It’s that time of year here in Chicago…winter! Winter brings a weaker immune systems, vitamin D deficiency and injuries from falling on ice and shoveling. Here are some of my best chiropractor shoveling tips. Continue reading