Back pain is the second most common reason people visit their medical doctors, behind the common cold. Unfortunately, modern medicine only can offer us medications to mask the pain and do very little to truly correct the reason why the pain is there in the first place. Here is a list of 14 things you start doing now to avoid back pain:
- Get adjusted! Come on, you knew this would be #1. Keeping your spine in alignment, mobile and healthy will help you to avoid back pain.
- Move you body — every day!
- Stretch — particularly your hips.
- Do planks — Research shows holding for 2 minutes is the sweet spot.
- Do side planks
- Don’t do Sit-ups — This exercise is hard on your lower back and there are many other ways to get your stomach stronger that are much better.
- Stand up straight — Posture is the window to health.
- Sit up straight — We sit more than ever, make sure you do it properly.
- Don’t sit for longer than an hour at a time — See #2
- Stay hydrated – Drink half of your bodyweight in ounces of water. Example: I weigh 190lbs so I drink 95 ounces of water a day.
- Use proper form in the gym — If you don’t know what proper form is, hire a trainer and learn.
- Do kettlebell swings — This is the best dynamic exercise to strengthen your back and core while opening up your hips. If you don’t know how to do these properly see #11.
- Don’t wear flip-flops — This provides a poor foundation and like any house with a poor foundation, it eventually will have problems.
- Don’t self adjust your back — It may feel good temporarily, but in the long run it creates instability. Leave the adjusting to a chiropractor. We are spine specialists.
Following these 14 tips will not only drastically lower your odds of suffering from back pain, but will overall make you a much healthier and stronger person.
Yours in Health,
Dr. Steven Bourdage DC